Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Communing with God

   I was reading this morning in Exodus 33, once again, about the Tent of Meeting which Moses set up outside the camp. "Everyone who wanted to consult with the Lord would go there" (v. 7). However, it was then Moses and Joshua who would actually enter the tent and experience God's manifest Presence. "Inside the Tent of Meeting, the Lord would speak to Moses...as a man speaks to his friend" (v. 11). What I never noticed was that after Moses left the tent, Joshua remained behind. In fact, I had never thought about Joshua even being there with Moses. This struck me because I wondered what it must have been like for Joshua to be present in the midst of God's glory and to experience the interchange between YHWH and Moses.  Who wouldn't want to remain behind in that place?  Why was he allowed to, I wonder?  What did he experience when he did? So many questions to ask people in Heaven when we get there.
   We now sometimes take for granted that we have access to God's ear and loving Presence every single moment of our lives, if we enter through our faith in the sacrificial gift of His Son (begotten from His love).  The Tent of Meeting is our body, our spirit within us able to commune with Him whenever we turn our face to His. He is willing to speak to us all as a friend, not just to the few chosen ones.
   People sometimes ask me 'where I go' when I close my eyes in worship. They can tell I'm someplace else at times. When I pray for people now, in my more 'advanced' years, I tend not to say very much anymore. I don't start speaking a prayer aloud right away. Sometimes they wonder if I'm stuck for what to say.  But that isn't it.  Well, in a way, it is, because I've found through the years it's better if I wait to 'connect' with God first and just let His Spirit wash over the person for whom I'm praying.  Then, if He gives me something to pray aloud, I do.  Many times, I pray only 'in the Spirit' and my words in English, if any, are few. As we invite His Presence, His Canopy covers us and we are awash in His love.  Who wouldn't want to linger there?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Morning Manna....to read and share....