Thursday, June 16, 2016

Dark Moments

  It's always interesting how God will lead you by threads to unexpected treasures. Upon my return to the cabin in Vernonia, I found Elizabeth Goudge's Pilgrim's Inn, which I had begun last year and never finished.  A friend took the time and money to find this book and order it for me on Amazon Marketplace, after I had expressed a love for some of  Elizabeth Goudge's books. I am enjoying it immensely. On vacation, one has the leisure to savor a well-written book containing deep insight and not be in a rush to get to the next action in the plot.
   As it is with dear family and friends and books, one wants to share, rather than hoard the treasure, so I went seeking available Goudge titles, from both the library and Amazon, and discovered biography of Elizabeth on Kindle at a minuscule price (a guilt-free purchase!). Opening it to the first page, I found another treasure in God's thread of gifts:  a poem by Anne Lewin from her book of poems and prayers entitled Watching for the Kingfisher. I now share it with you, my faithful Morniing Manna friends. You can store it up for such a time as it is needed in your life. I pray this isn't that time, but I know they come for all of us.

DARK MOMENTS

'All shall be well'....
She must have said that
Sometimes through gritted teeth.
Surely she knew the moments
When fear gnaws at trust,
The future loses shape,
Gethsemane?

The courage that says
'All shall be well'
Doesn't mean feeling no fear,
But facing it, trusting God won't let go.

'All shall be well'
Doesn't deny present experience,
But roots it deep
In the faithfulness of God,
Whose will and gift is life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Morning Manna....to read and share....