Monday, August 31, 2015

Love That Casts Out Fear

I guess this is more Evening Manna...
   Tonight I was drawn to my old 1940 Episcopal hymnal. I took it to the piano and plucked out the soprano and alto parts (that's as far as my piano skills will take me) of some of its beautiful hymns.  I began to sing along, as I did when I was a young child, and my parents bought me a little 'organ' which contained about an octave and a half and some chord buttons.  But I was unprepared for the depth of emotion that was stirred within me, as all the verses to hymns I hadn't sung for decades came back to me.  The Father used these hymns...both their poetry and their music to touch me long ago...to show me His heart.  As anyone who knows me well can tell you, I love contemporary Christian music...but there is treasure, also, to be found in this heritage. It saddens me to see how far the church I grew up in has wandered from the Scriptures.  However, these poignant hymns are full of the Word of God, and I hope we never lose them.  Here's one I sang tonight.  Wish I could share it with the music...  [Found a way to add it now, but I'm having issues editing this post. Will add in new post for Sept. 9, if you care to hear the tune.]

O love that casts out fear
O love that casts out sin
Tarry no more without,
But come and dwell within.

True sunlight of the soul,
Surround us as we go
So shall our way be safe,
Our feet no straying know.


Great love of God, come in!
Wellspring of heavenly peace
Thou Living Water, come!
Spring up, and never cease.

Love of the living God,
Of Father and of Son
Love of the Holy Ghost,
Fill Thou each needy one.
      --Horatius Bonar, 1861

No comments:

Post a Comment

Morning Manna....to read and share....