Sunday, September 20, 2015

A Good, Good Father

   Recently, I was pondering a friends' statement that God doesn't seem to be Good 'all the time, ' the way we often declare that He is.  Sometimes He doesn't answer a heartfelt prayer.... Either He's deaf to it or He hears but doesn't choose to fulfill our requests.  I knew this wasn't true, but I was asking God for a way to explain it, and He asked me (as He often does to help me see) about my own grown children.
   If one of them was to call and ask for my help, what would I do?  Would I ponder awhile and consider whether or not I wanted to help him?  Would I be too busy with 'greater things' to take time to address her need?  Would I decide, perhaps, that he didn't deserve my help? Would I let her flounder?   How ridiculous this seems when we think about our love for the children God has given us.  And yet we attribute these attitudes to our Heavenly Father, who has no imperfections, as we do, nor any limitations or conditions on His love. We are sometimes still stuck with a very inaccurate vision of God, because of the imperfect human fathers of our experience.  Getting that picture of God with His arms folded, waiting for us to either screw up or measure up...out of our heads, can be difficult.
   Although we may not understand why we have not been able to receive the answer or help God has sent, we can be sure that He has sent it. We can be certain that the very first moment we prayed to Him (in fact sometimes before we even knew the need existed), He moved to help us. God often sends answers to our prayers by prompting other humans (who don't always respond to that prompting.) Sometimes, He knows what we're asking for isn't best for us. Sometimes  He knows that what we want will harm another.  However, if we're asking for something He, in His Wisdom, knows is a good thing....He has already quickly responded, as we would, to meet our need...to touch a heart...to heal a body, to relieve suffering, to encourage a soul, to mend a broken spirit, to open the eyes of a deceived heart.
   If we, or others, have not been able to receive the help He has sent, then we can know that the problem does not lie with Him.  He has acted, but for whatever reason (including things like human will, lack of faith, a lack of understanding how to use the authority He's given us, and the wiles of the Enemy), we haven't seen it come to pass. He is still Good All the Time, loves us All the Time, and, as the Good Shepherd and The Hound of Heaven all rolled into one,  He will never stop acting on our behalf.  If we, as the imperfect parents we are, would never stand by and refuse to act on behalf of our children to the uttermost extent of our capabilities and to the point of our own even physical sacrifice, how much more will our Perfect Heavenly Father extend Himself for us.
   Let us never malign His Character due to our own lack of understanding.  Call out to Him..yes.  Tell Him we're upset and grieved...yes...Share every heartfelt emotion with Him..yes.  Just don't ever consider Him impotent or uncaring or less than the God who cared enough about us to come rescue us in Person.

6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to put that God loves us always. There have been times that I have felt God didn't care or that he must be testing me, but a person once told me that God is the all father and he loves me and if I believe that God was my father then I should thinking about how a father acts. As a parent you love your children you don't test them. What kind of parents would want to test their children? A father only wants his children to have what he hasn't and to be more decent than he was as well as to love his children. If God was to test us or not care all the time then we would never pray and worship him as we do. God loves us and always cares because he is the father and loves us no matter what. Thank you Julie Wales for your blog it's very insiteful and refreshing. I look forward to reading your writing and I am proud to have a friend as loving and faithful to Christ as you. Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Mike. God has cerainly given you the gift of encouragement. Thank you so much for your beautiful response.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS, Mike....My first posts are from last May, and they go back into a second page. I hope they're visible from your end. I've noticed that they basically haven't been read, where later ones have, so I'm wondering if the archives can all be seen. Julie

    ReplyDelete

Morning Manna....to read and share....