Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Going Deeper with Ancient Hymns

C.S. Lewis, in The Last Battle, talks about going 'farther up and further in.' I am finding depth, as well as inspiration, in these centuries-old hymns, which I've recently begun using for prayer and praise, in addition to the contemporary praise music I love.  I am also reminded of the saints who have gone before us....as I ponder the fact that people sang these same words for hundreds of years before me through times of great difficulty and tribulation. Here's one from 1729.  I have added an a Capella recording of one verse, just so you can hear the melody which accompanies each of these hauntingly beautiful hymns. Just reading the lyrics leaves half the story untold.  (I'm trying to check the lyrics and hold the IPad at the same time while recording, so you'll get a good laugh at my videography, along with morning 'frog'. Humility is good for the soul.)

God Himself is with us; let us all adore Him and with awe appear before Him.
God is here within us; soul, in silence fear* Him; humbly, fervently draw near Him.
Now His own who have known God, in worship lowly, yield their spirits wholly.

Thou pervadest all things; let Thy radiant beauty light mine eyes to see my duty.
As the tender flowers eagerly unfold them, to the sunlight calmly hold them,
So let me, quietly, in Thy rays imbue me; let Thy light shine through me.

Come, abide within me; let my soul like Mary, be Thine earthly sanctuary.
Come, indwelling Spirit, with transfigured splendor, love and honor will I render.
Where I go, here below, let me bow before Thee, know Thee and adore Thee.

Gladly we surrender Earth's deceitful treasures, pride of life and sinful pleasures.
Gladly, Lord, we offer Thine to be forever, soul and life and each endeavor.
Thine alone shalt be known, Lord of all our being, life's true way decreeing.

--Gerhardt Tersteegen, 1729
*The Amplified Bible defines this word translated in English as fear as 'affectionate reverence'

2 comments:

  1. I love that every Thursday evening we sing "oldie goldies" at the Grace Fellowship prayer meeting here in Vernonia.

    ReplyDelete

Morning Manna....to read and share....