Friday, December 29, 2023

Lifter of our heads

  

   This morning, I once again read in Psalm 3 that God is ‘the lifter of my head,’ Years ago, He gave me a picture of Himself putting His forefinger under my chin and lifting my head up so I could look into His love-filled eyes. That image has stayed with me, as well it should. However, Brian Simmons also notes that in David’s time, “to lift up the head signified acquittal when judged, being freed from the prison of shame.” [The Passion Translation]

   How often have I been reluctant to look Him in the eye, due to my ungodly words or attitude toward another? I avoid the ‘listening’ part of my daily prayer time because I am embarrassed and ashamed that I behaved as I did. I know the holiness to which He has called us, and I definitely didn’t measure up. How could I at my advanced age still be struggling with some of the same things I did in my young adulthood? If I take time to listen, won’t He say, “Really???”  

   In his book, Who Told You You Were Naked? Andrew Wommack explores our tendency to hide from God because of the conscience He placed within us. Our awareness of our own guilt can keep us separated from the very solace, healing, and hope we desperately need from Him. We can manage to keep ourselves very ‘busy’ and declare we don’t have enough time to sit at His feet. So much to do! Of course, He is well aware of this ploy. 

   We are like the child who was running in the house and broke the sentimentally valuable vase. Our Father isn’t ignorant of the identity of the culprit, but he wants us to be the one to come and confess, to look him in the eye and say, “I did it, Abba, and I’m sorry.” Forgiveness and a loving hug bring reconciliation and restoration of the closeness a father wants with his children.  

   Our forgiveness, despite our guilt, comes through our eldest sibling, Who already took.our punishment on Himself. He has done this so we and Abba can always be close. Yet we often act as though He hasn’t paid this dreadful price, as if we are still separated from our Papa and need to keep hiding behind the furniture.  We should never take for granted what our Big Brother has done, but we also shouldn’t allow his sacrifice to have been in vain. Abba and Yeshua long for us to stay near. 

   Let’s come without fear to sincerely confess and then receive freedom from guilt and shame (and even pure embarrassment!), in gratefulness to our big brother, Yeshua. Let’s also strive to live holier and holier lives, so that the things we bring to our Abba in sorrow are examples of a life which has been continually sanctified throughout the years.  

   Let’s stay close, no matter our recent thoughts, words, deeds…or even something we failed to do. Let’s confess quickly and allow Him to lift our heads. Let’s receive the Papa Bear hug with which He longs to encircle us. He may have some further instructions for us, however.

   Perhaps the most challenging listening from which we may be tempted to hide is related to someone else.  Someone He wants us to forgive or from whom we should as forgiveness. Someone to whom He wants us to minister our own bear hug.  Let’s listen well and follow through, extending the love and grace we have just received.. Then  we can ‘look up’ and see the glowing face of a proud Papa beaming down on us.

*********
We know that if we truly listen, You will speak to us both in our hearts and through Your Word. We choose to listen. We choose to have listening and hearing ears. And we choose to bring ourselves under what we hear from You; we choose to obey. We draw near to You, confident that as we do, You will draw near to us.”  —Dutch Sheets, Give Him 15, Devotional II; page 24

“Let the light of your radiant face break through and shine upon us!” —-Psalm 4: 6

Aaronic blessing: Numbers 6: 22-27 :
May the LORD bless you and keep you;
May the LORD make His face shine upon you, and be gracious to you;
May the Lord lift up the light of His countenance upon you and give you peace”

“Come seek Me with all your heart. I will not hide from you, but I will hide you in Me.” —Brian Simmons, I Hear His Whisper
 

    

1 comment:

Morning Manna....to read and share....