Friday, December 1, 2023

A Tender Advent

 


     Years ago, I suggested our family exchange gifts on Epiphany and keep the Advent and Christmas seasons as worshipful and focused as possible on our Saviour. Although their hearts were with me, the logistics weren’t. Between geography and timing, it became apparent this plan wouldn’t fly. This year, however, new geography and timing have paved the way. We have set our celebration together for Epiphany weekend (not that we don’t also have fun events like cookie baking in between). 

     My part time hours at the store have shrunk, and I have put away my easel and art supplies, which normally live where the Christmas tree now stands. Nativity scenes, angels, and candles now light our living/dining area, and quiet Christian carols are calling me to worship in His Spirit of deep joy and rest. This brings Him pleasure. (I know because He just told me so,) 

     Brian Simmons (The Passion Translation) has a new Advent devotional which I purchased on Kindle. I am going to use this to supplement my daily Bible reading and prayer/decree time this season. I am excited to go deeper. Today the Lord told me “not to be reluctant to ‘camp out’ on just one part of His Word.. Treasures are to be found there,” He whispered. I’m taking the time to click on each of Brian’s notes in His Passion Translation, as I reread the Christmas story in the gospels. I have been taking longer to ponder the impact of each comment on specific words and verses. Sometimes I don’t even make it through a whole chapter. I put my head back and close my eyes, asking Holy Spirit to share what He wants me to glean, to see anew in these oh so familiar passages.

     Earlier today, I was doing errands, cleaning, attending a Zoom meeting, and trying to be faithful to my exercise program. Prayer time & Bible study had been sandwiched here and there. When I sat back down to get quiet again and listen, He chuckled and didn’t really need to comment further. I got it. This lesson has been repeated for me through the decades. You would think I’d have it mastered by now, but He knows better. I am thankful for His patience. He did, however, lovingly remind me to realign my priorities with His. He knows how the most important things can get put aside, despite our best intentions, when addressed in the wrong order.

     I want to live His priorities out this year, not just cocooning myself away to experience a truly holy season in His Presence, but also dedicating significant time in serving others in ways that please Him. Learning to both give and receive well. A holy Advent season doesn’t have to be a totally quiet one, but when His good pleasure is the motivation for both types of joyful experiences—-the peaceful and the busy—-we can be assured of a blessed Advent lived under the tender gaze of His joyful countenance. Let’s ask Him, “Lord, how would You have me spend the time You’ve given me this Advent season? Help me go deeper and farther, both inwardly and outwardly, in ways that please Your heart..”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Morning Manna....to read and share....