Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Three impossible babes...

Has God ever foretold you of the impossible coming to pass? If so, what was your reaction? I’ve experienced or witnessed everything from excitement to willingness to confusion to fear to anger to abject denial.

Did you ever wonder at the differences between Gabriel's responses to Abraham, Zechariah, and Mary...when they were each told of absolute miracles about to take place?  I've always wondered why Gabriel was angry at Zechariah and consigned him to muteness, when He was not angry at Abraham or Mary.  Their responses to the news of an ‘impossible child’ to be born seemed so similar..  All three questioned him (or God, directly) as to how these things could be, would be possible.  Abraham even laughed.  (It wasn't just Sarah.)

Abraham: “You’ve got to be kidding! Do you know how old Sarah is?” [Is this the human emblem of faith from Hebrews and Romans  laughing at God?]
Zechariah: “That’s impossible! Do you know how old I am? I need some confirmed data here."
Mary: “But how will this be, since I’m a virgin?”

So I finally asked the Father about it. (Why do I take so long to ask Him about passages in His Word that are confusing to me?)

One of the downsides of our current electronic communication, versus face-to-face conversations or phone calls, is that we can’t hear intonations or inflections or see gestures and facial expressions. The entire attitude and connotation of what we’re saying is affected by how something is said (as well as conventions like punctuation, currently missing in most texts.) For example:
Really!?” 1:   You’ve got to be kidding! That’s ridiculous! I’m having trouble believing that happened. Are you making this up?
Really!?” 2:  WOW...that’s fantastic!  I’m so happy! How did this/will this take place? [Laughing in astonishment]
Really!?” 3: I don’t believe it for a minute. You’re really stretching it here. Your credibility with me is sinking fast.
Really!?” 4:: Wow...that’s a lot to take in. My head is swirling here. 
Since we weren’t eyewitnesses of these encounters (wouldn’t that have been awesome?), we don’t know the tones of their reactions or the expressions on their faces. However, we can perhaps infer from Gabriel’s reaction, the attitudes of their hearts.

Abraham:  “Ha Ha! That’s outrageously, impossibly wonderful! But if He says it, it will happen! I just can’t fathom how....  Have you seen Sarah lately? And I’m, well, you know.”

Zechariah: “I’m sorry, I’m just not believing this. It’s impossible, since Elizabeth and I are older than the hills. Nope. Not happening. Where's your proof?”

Mary: “This is amazing! I am so honored and am the Lord’s handmaiden. But can you tell me how this will come about, since I have never been intimate with a man?”

I guess the real question for each of us is: What is our response to God when He tells us of, or calls us to, the seemingly impossible? Do we remind ourselves that He is the God of the impossible? That nothing is impossible with Him? That, despite what ‘know’ with our human brain and mind, He  is the Creator, Sustainer, and Redeemer of the world and is able to do all things...that our one job is to trust Him? We certainly may, like Mary, ask Him how these things will take place, as long as we have the attitude that they will and that we are His handmaidens or handmen, as the case may be. [FYI...He may or may not answer the how question, either, but we are welcome to ask.  Sometimes the answer is, as He once told me, 'wait and see!']

Mary, and I believe Abraham also, was simply asking about the hownot questioning, as was Zechariah, the will be. Therein lies the cosmological difference. Let's make sure we're ready to jump onto the moving train of God's will be, rejoicing in what He is doing, rejoicing that we are called to be part of it, and questioning only where we fit into His Plan.
“Do not be afraid, Zechariah; your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you are to call him John. 14 He will be a joy and delight to you, and many will rejoice because of his birth, 15 for he will be great in the sight of the Lord.
18 Zechariah asked the angel, “How can I be sure of this? I am an old man and my wife is well along in years.”
19 The angel said to him, “I am Gabriel. I stand in the presence of God, and I have been sent to speak to you and to tell you this good news.20 And now you will be silent and not able to speak until the day this happens, because you did not believe my words, which will come true at their appointed time.”   --Luke 1: 13--15; 19-20

“Do not be afraid,Mary; you have found favor with God. 31 You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus. 32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, 33 and he will reign over Jacob’s descendants forever; his kingdom will never end.”
34 “How will this be,” Mary asked the angel, “since I am a virgin?”
35 The angel answered, “The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called[b] the Son of God. 36 Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age, and she who was said to be unable to conceive is in her sixth month. 37 For no word from God will ever fail.”
38 “I am the Lord’s servant,” Mary answered. “May your word to me be fulfilled.”   --Luke 1: 30-38

Genesis 17:16-18 New International Version (NIV)

16 I will bless her and will surely give you a son by her. I will bless her so that she will be the mother of nations; kings of peoples will come from her.”
17 Abraham fell facedown; he laughed and said to himself, “Will a son be born to a man a hundred years old? Will Sarah bear a child at the age of ninety?” 

Genesis 18:10-12 New International Version (NIV)

10 Then one of them said, “I will surely return to you about this time next year, and Sarah your wife will have a son.”
Now Sarah was listening at the entrance to the tent, which was behind him. 11 Abraham and Sarah were already very old, and Sarah was past the age of childbearing. 12 So Sarah laughed to herself as she thought, “After I am worn out and my lord is old, will I now have this pleasure?”

18 Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed and so became the father of many nations, just as it had been said to him, “So shall your offspring be.”[d] 19 Without weakening in his faith, he faced the fact that his body was as good as dead—since he was about a hundred years old—and that Sarah’s womb was also dead. 20 Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, 21 being fully persuaded that God had power to do what he had promised --Romans 4:18-21

No comments:

Post a Comment

Morning Manna....to read and share....