Saturday, June 17, 2017

Are you being served?

   When I titled an earlier post Buried Treasure, I had no idea how prophetic it would be for the chapter from Chaim Bentorah's book* which I read today:  Deep Things: 'Amaquth. I couldn't begin to relate all he packed into these few pages, but let me summarize his explanation of why he takes Job 12:22 from its KJV translation,  ("He discovereth deep things out of darkness, and bringeth out to light the shadow of death") to "He reveals His secrets, which are unsearchable, from that which He has restrained, and will bring to the light His secrets"
   I had no idea the Torah was originally written as one long word.  I knew the Hebrew had no vowels, just consonants, when transliterated into our alphabet. However, I was unaware that there were no spaces between the words. So a letter from the end of one 'word,' chosen as such by those who originally divided the text for understanding and readability, could actually be the first letter of the next.  And moving a dot (remember dots and tittles?) from one end of a word to the beginning, changes the meaning entirely.  Shadow of death, thus,  could actually be His secrets, which seems to make much more sense in context.
  An image which delighted me was from the phrase 'he brings his secrets to light,' where the word "is similar to a waiter serving dinner."  Ah...."to sit at God's table, resting in His light and letting Him serve you a meal of His secrets and mysteries." *
   Hmmm...to apprehend, rather than comprehend, His unsearchable treasures and gifts of insight and truth. Profound awareness of Who He is in the midst of any circumstance. Lifted to a Rock higher than I (Psalm 61:2). Served a full-course meal at a table in the presence of my enemies. (Psalm 23:5). To find oneself drowning in the depths of the dark ocean, only to discover a shaft of light on a chest of treasures. Who would have thought our Father was also a deep sea diving instructor? What a God we serve. What a Father we have. What a Shepherd on Whom we lean.

*Bentorah, p.34, Hebrew Word Study, Revealing the Heart of God

You prepare a table for me in the presence of my enemies.  You anoint my head with oil.
--Psalm 23:5

From the end of the earth will I cry to you, when my heart is overwhelmed and fainting; lead me to the Rock that is higher than I [yes, a rock that is too high for me].
--Psalm 61:2, Amplified

Tomorrow:  Does  God love us in degrees?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Morning Manna....to read and share....