Saturday, July 11, 2015

A Deeply Planted Source of Blessing

   My morning reading included the passage below from Colossians 2:7-8.
The image He then gave me was of standing on His feet with my back to Him and His arms around me. Roots were growing into Him from my feet. Winds of circumstance and deceptive human argument were blowing about us, but they were not affecting me. As He moved, I, of course, moved with Him. I could not be separated from Him and certainly had no desire to be.
   I then remembered a book I read long ago that profoundly influenced me. It was called Poustinia*...a coming away with God, separating oneself in a sort of quiet 'desert' experience in which one is built up and deeply rooted in Him.  In doing so, one eventually grows into the kind of strong, firmly planted tree which invites others in to rest....to experience the Shalom which only He can provide. You become a Planting for His solace, comfort, and the sort of rest which can be found even in the busiest times of one's life....rest amidst the whirlwind.....

*Poustinia by Catherine Doherty

Colossians 2:7-8Amplified Bible (AMP)

Have the roots [of your being] firmly and deeply planted [in Him, fixed and founded in Him], being continually built up in Him, becoming increasingly more confirmed and established in the faith, just as you were taught, and abounding and overflowing in it with thanksgiving.
See to it that no one carries you off as spoil or makes you yourselves captive by his so-called philosophy and intellectualism and vain deceit (idle fancies and plain nonsense), following human tradition (men’s ideas of the material rather than the spiritual world), just crude notions following the rudimentary and elemental teachings of the universe and disregarding [the teachings of] Christ (the Messiah).
Amplified Bible (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment

Morning Manna....to read and share....