Sunday, April 14, 2024

Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring


   Many of us know the song “Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring.” Yet how many of us have ever really read the whole of the deep, worshipful lyrics? If you’re like me, you probably can’t make it past the first stanza by memory, or even the first few lines. We know the music well because it was composed by JS Bach, This 1723 chorale was part of an Advent cantata, originally in German. The English text we sing is actually  different from the original German (and written by another). Either way, both sets of lyrics are profoundly beautiful. Two of the original stanzas were titled, “Blessed am I, that I have Jesus” and ‘Jesus remains My Joy.” Need I say more? Below you will find the entire lyrics from both sources. Let them sink into the deep places of your soul this day. Also, enjoy listening to several renditions of the English text. [I wish I could have found better videos with lyrics for these, but…]

Overall playlist: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-2DzbrW5IS3qWT9v3-XwPA-jp3yNs63g&si=nrEESZBAPBWRrOk-

Chorale: https://youtu.be/S6OgZCCoXWc?si=uCC0mJu099guaC7M

Josh Groban: https://youtu.be/4kbdoaNwuwA?si=Jz1rBZ0GivzKw0ES

Celtic Woman https://youtu.be/KZj8HoUe-G4?si=UUL7wuWVL7dEivZ_

****

English Text: “The following is a version with words attributed to the poet laureate Robert Bridges.[5] It is not a translation of the stanzas used within Bach's original version, but is inspired by stanzas of the same hymn that Bach had drawn upon: "Jesu, meiner Seelen Wonne", the lyrics of which were written in 1661 by Martin Janus (or Jahn), and which was sung to Johann Schop's 1642 "Werde munter, mein Gemüte" hymn tune.” [see footnote citation]

Jesu, joy of man's desiring,
Holy wisdom, love most bright;
Drawn by Thee, our souls aspiring
Soar to uncreated light.


Word of God, our flesh that fashioned,
With the fire of life impassioned,
Striving still to truth unknown,
Soaring, dying round Thy throne.

Through the way where hope is guiding,
Hark, what peaceful music rings;
Where the flock, in Thee confiding,
Drink of joy from deathless springs.

Theirs is beauty's fairest pleasure;
Theirs is wisdom's holiest treasure.
Thou dost ever lead Thine own
In the love of joys unknown

Original German Text: ❤️ (love this)

Well for me that I have Jesus,
O how tightly I hold him
that he might refresh my heart,
when I'm sick and sad.
Jesus I have, who loves me
and gives himself to me,
ah, therefore I will not leave Jesus,
even when my heart breaks.
—from BWV 147, chorale movement no. 6

Jesus remains my joy,
my heart's consolation and sap,
Jesus fends off all suffering,
He is my life's strength,
my eyes' lust [voluntarism meaning: reason of being] and sun,
my soul's treasure and pleasure;
Therefore I will not leave Jesus
out of heart and sight.
—from BWV 147, chorale movement no. 10

*Wikipedia contributors. "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring." Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, 21 Mar. 2024. Web. 14 Apr. 2024.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Morning Manna....to read and share....