Tuesday, March 5, 2024

On my father’s shoe

 



   Does anyone else remember grabbing on to your father’s leg and not letting go, so when he tried to walk, he had to drag his leg (and you) behind him? Sometimes you could even manage to ride on his shoe.👞 Surprisingly, he never appeared irritated (at least mine didn't). He just looked down and chuckled. I probably did the same thing with my mother; I just don’t remember it. I’ve seen my toddler granddaughter attach herself to her mom in this way. 

   We were not a demonstrative family. [Hugging wasn’t something you would have seen in our home, both my parents having been raised in a ‘keep your emotions inside’ heritage. Hugging, for example, wasn’t seen in our home until my sister came home from college one day and threw her arms around my neck. I thought to myself, “Wow, I like this hugging thing!”] My father was predominantly of German background and my mother, English. Yet we knew they loved us, and my sisters and I are very grateful to have been blessed with the parents we  had (still have, in heaven).

   This morning I was reading and pondering Psalm 65, The first 2 verses read, 

   “Oh God in Zion, to you even silence is praise! You who answers  prayer…”] 

Brian Simmons (The Passion Translation) noted: 

The root of the Hebrew word for ‘prayer’ is palal, which also means ‘tent peg.’ Jewish tradition views palal prayer (intercession) as a means of attaching yourself to God. In the same way a tent peg establishes a tent and fastens it securely, so palal prayer fastens the soul to God. Palal prayer is when you grab hold of God and attach yourself to him in surrender and humility. Hold on to God like a tent peg holds on to a tent.

I thought this was wonderful. However, instead I pictured myself riding on God’s shoe, with my arms attached to His leg. I could hear Him chuckle. Certainly, He wants us to pray ‘face to face,’ but I believe it also pleases Him when we attach ourselves to Him and don’t let go. 

   Go ahead, pray, holding on tight, and make sure your humility, gratefulness, and love towards Him abound with His every step. I believe He will laugh out loud and most surely respond tenderly to your prayer.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Morning Manna....to read and share....