Friday, October 11, 2019

Fruitfulness, fun, and rest, Part III (Rest)

Rest

This morning I was prompting myself to pursue the last of our trio of topics, Rest. Although I’ve written and spoken about this topic before, I wanted to receive fresh insight from the Lord about it. When I created the title of this three-part post, I had not yet reached Hebrews in my current (oft-repeated) journey through the epistles.  As I opened today to where I had left off yesterday, I found myself in Hebrews 3 & 4.  Lo and behold (drum roll, please), I found it to be all about God’s rest. Don’t you just love it when that happens? God is so eager to answer our questions, so delighted we are delving into His Word, that it’s as if He opens the Bible to the right page and sets it in our lap. 

Now, we’ve been discussing fruitfulness, fun, and rest.  Obviously, this is the section on Rest, but truthfully, all these three aspects of our lives intersect. Additionally, there are multiple uses of the term Rest. Being fruitful and having fun can also produce rest in their own ways. 

Isn’t it interesting how exhilaration and productivity are often followed by a sense of relaxation and rest? After we tense our muscles, for example, we’re more conscious of their not being tensed.  I usually don’t want to do my exercise routine, but after I do, I feel both invigorated and relaxed. Looking at this in the different context of our spiritual lives:  After we’ve worked diligently to be constructive and fruitful, there is a sense of deeper rest that follows.  More so than if we were simply inert. Inertia isn’t the kind of rest we’re after, is it?  In fact, the couch potato life usually makes us feel sluggish and discontented.     

A good, deep sleep is also a gift designed by God to help heal our bodies, assist our souls in processing the events of the day, and bring us restoration and re-invigoration. A refreshing ‘power nap’ can also be a blessing, for those who can take advantage without waking up groggy and disoriented. Just drifting in the midst of the chapter of a good book can carry us into needed rest.

When God speaks of entering His Rest in Hebrews 3 and 4+, He isn't discussing sleep patterns, is He?  His deep and abiding Rest involves our souls and spirits in a state of Shalom.  Not just eternal rest in Heaven (although that is absolutely implied), but in this life on earth, in the midst of often chaotic circumstances...no matter what is happening at the moment.  This rest involves a bedrock faith and certainty that, as He promises in Hebrews, He will never, no never, no never forsake us.**

Just sitting still in His Presence; not necessarily saying anything, but simply opening our hearts and spirits to Him and waiting on Him; bring His Rest.  Our heartbeats slow, our breathing deepens, and we are enveloped by the cloud of His Love.  The sunshine streaming through the window onto our shoulders becomes a caress from His hand.  Finally, that elusive peace we've desired takes up residence in us.

Every form of rest (through play, fruitfulness, sleep, quiet time with Him...) are all a gift from Him.  We need the balance of work, fun, and rest in our lives for our triune beings to be healthy.  When it's time for us to enter into His forever Rest in Heaven, we'll experience fun, fruitfulness, and relaxation there, too; but to a depth He says we can't now even imagine in our mind's eye.  Don't plan on being bored on a cloud somewhere....you're going to be resting in His permanent Shalom in the midst of fruitfulness, creativity, and fun.  I can't wait.  He's even promised me visits to The Hundred Acre Wood. What special place would you like to visit with Him?  Ask Him about it.  I bet you'll hear a delighted chuckle and a promise in response.

**********************************
He offers a resting place for me in his luxurious love. His tracks take me to an oasis of peacethe quiet brook of bliss.  --Psalm 23:2     [The Passion Translation]

Now God has offered to us the same promise of entering into his realm of resting in confident faith. So we must be extremely careful to ensure that we all embrace the fullness of that promise and not fail to experience it. For we have heard the good news of deliverance just as they did, yet they didn’t join their faith with the Word. Instead, what they heard didn’t affect them deeply, for they doubted. For those of us who believe, faith activates the promise and we experience the realm of confident rest!  --Hebrews 4:1-3  (+ all of chapters 3 & 4)

My heart and soul explode with joy—full of glory! Even my body will rest confident and secure.  --Psalm 16:9

I say to myself, “If only I could fly away from all of this! If only I could run away to the place of rest and peace.  --Psalm 55:6

O Lord our God, let your sweet beauty rest upon us and give us favor. Come work with us, and then our works will endure, and give us success in all we do.  --Psalm 90:17

Now I can say to myself and to all, “Relax and rest, be confident and serene, for the Lord rewards fully those who simply trust in him.”    --Psalm 116:7

I am humbled and quieted in your presence. Like a contented child who rests on its mother’s lap, I’m your resting child and my soul is content in you.  --Psalm 131:2

But the one who always listens to me will live undisturbed in a heavenly peace. Free from fear, confident and courageous, you will rest unafraid and sheltered from the storms of life.   --Proverbs 1:33

You will sleep like a baby, safe and sound— your rest will be sweet and secure.  --Proverbs 3:24

...because God is your confidence in times of crisis, keeping your heart at rest in every situation.   --Proverbs 3:26

For the Lord will never walk away from his cherished ones, nor would he forsake his chosen ones who belong to him.   ---Psalm 94:14

By contrast, we have already come[ad] near to God in a totally different realm, the Zion-realm,[ae] for we have entered the city of the Living God, which is the New Jerusalem in heaven![af] We have joined the festal gathering of myriads of angels in their joyous celebration!   --Hebrews 12:22

“I will never leave you alone, never! And I will not loosen my grip[c] on your life!”  --Hebrews 13:5b



No comments:

Post a Comment

Morning Manna....to read and share....