Saturday, November 7, 2015

How Close Can You Get?

   Have you ever had a pet, especially a large one, who kept trying to sit closer and closer to you, until finally he managed to get himself completely secured in your lap? I remember Drew's sweet lab/setter/collie, Mariah, who used to sit at our feet, then on our feet, then put her paws in our lap, then gradually (as if she though we might not notice) levitate her hind quarters into the much smaller space on top of us. It seemed she couldn't get close enough, and was happiest when she was nestled so closely that one would find it difficult to see where she left off and we began.

   I remember sitting on my father's feet, with my head resting on his knees, while he watched football on television (black and white in those days). He was a tender-hearted, wonderful man but was raised by German parents that to express emotion was a sign of weakeness. Yet I also remember a special moment when he reached down, as I sat leaning against his legs,  to stroke my hair.  Yeshua has given me that very picture of Himself, except that He is not uncertain how to express love. My father is there with Him and with the Father, as the recipient of that well-expressed love that he so desired as a child, and it gives me joy to think of it. My mother, too, who often felt inadequate as a child, is now fully accepted, fully valued, fully loved.

   We don't have to wait for heaven to experience intimacy with Adonai. Thankfully, my mother discovered that well before she left this earth. Those of us who long for unconditional love and affection can find it the very moment we open our hearts to it. This is sometimes easier said than done, if we have experiened consistent anger, neglect, or rejection from the people in our lives who should have loved us best.  But Adonai is our Overcomer. He is our Peace, Who breaks down every wall*. When you try to climb up closer, not only will He not reject you, but He will look down into your eyes with tender joy at the sight of you, rejoicing that closeness to Him is your heart's desire.  Try it. It doesn't matter how old or how big you are, whether you are man or woman. He is bigger.
Much bigger. You will always fit in His lap and always be welcome there.

*Ephesians 2:14

I thought I'd share a picture I've loved since I was small. It still,hangs on my wall.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Morning Manna....to read and share....